Who we are
Sagentia’s Commercial Division works with global, leading companies in the Food and Beverage, Consumer (FMCG), AgriTech and Industrial sectors to deliver radical new technology and product innovations. We apply multidisciplinary teams to look at the fundamental scientific principles involved, before proving our ideas will work in the real world through advanced laboratory experimentation and product prototypes. Ultimately, we are looking to turn our ideas into great products that will delight our clients and their customers.
Together with our sister companies under Science Group, we are seen as the foremost ‘one-stop provider’ for the Consumer, Industrial, AgriTech and Food and Beverage sectors, helping our clients to understand and address the grand challenges in their industries. Recent projects include-
• Delivering an advanced precision dispensing system which reduces pesticide use in farming.
• Reinventing well-known food brands to help reduce unhealthy (e.g. sugar) or unsustainable (e.g. palm oil) ingredients without compromising on taste.
• Increasing consumer engagement by inventing a hair quality measurement, which can help a consumer choose the perfect product for their needs.
• Improving packaging sustainability by applying radically new materials and design principles
Our parent company, Science Group plc, has a global reach with a multinational workforce spanning the U.K., Europe and North America. We look for exceptional hands-on employees that will flourish in a dynamic and stimulating environment.
We are looking for a sales-focused individual with working knowledge of the consumer or industrial product development lifecycle to join Sagentia’s team in our Harston office. Reporting into the Managing Director, you will play a key role in contributing to the continued growth and success of the business. To be successful in this role you will drive business development and client relationship management activities drawing upon your product development background. You will ultimately be responsible for profitable sales and successful client relationships within nominated accounts and sub-sector campaigns. You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and develop relationships with our clients; it is expected that you will be travelling around 50% of your time (Europe).
• Take responsibility for maintaining and growing the business relationship with selected Strategic Accounts; this will include routine visits to clients in order to sustain key relationships and to increase customer penetration
• Centre on new business creation activities, introducing the company’s services, presenting portfolio reviews, leveraging existing and new contacts to identify new project opportunities, discussing and responding to new project briefs.
• Listen to the needs of our client and translate these into appropriate programs of work (in consultation with the commercial division team, skill group managers and consultants). Though not directly involved in project delivery, the individual in the role will stay in touch with the consultants running these projects and as and when appropriate participate in key delivery meetings and post-project reviews.
• Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings.
• Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Science Group marketing team
• Pitch the business and handle RFPs through to proposal stage. Once the business has been won, they will then nurture these new accounts, sustain the client relationship and increase the account penetration.
Experience & qualifications
• Customer-facing experience in a business development role
• Evidence of success in building a rapport and trust in customers
• Experience in a consulting environment
• An understanding of consumer or industrial product development
• Technical degree qualifications to Masters/PhD level is strongly preferred but not essential
• A second language (e.g. French, German) would be preferred but not essential
We are committed to career development and make a focused effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package.