Who we are
Sagentia’s Commercial Division works with global, leading companies in the Food and Beverage, Consumer (FMCG), AgriTech and Industrial sectors to deliver radical new technology and product innovations. We apply multidisciplinary teams to look at the fundamental scientific principles involved, before proving our ideas will work in the real world through advanced laboratory experimentation and product prototypes. Ultimately, we are looking to turn our ideas into great products that will delight our clients and their customers.
Together with our sister companies under Science Group, we are seen as the foremost ‘one-stop provider’ for the Consumer, Industrial, AgriTech and Food and Beverage sectors, helping our clients to understand and address the grand challenges in their industries. Recent projects include-
• Delivering an advanced precision dispensing system which radically reduces pesticide use in farming.
• Reinventing well-known food brands to help reduce unhealthy (e.g. sugar) or unsustainable (e.g palm oil) ingredients without compromising on taste.
• Increasing consumer engagement by inventing a hair quality measurement, which can identify the perfect product for each individual.
• Improving packaging sustainability and ‘shelf-pop’ by applying radically new materials and design principles
Our parent company, Science Group plc, has a global reach with a multinational workforce spanning the U.K., Europe and North America. We look for exceptional hands-on employees that will flourish in a dynamic and stimulating environment.
We are looking for commercially experienced individuals with a working knowledge of developing engaging products for the Consumer, Industrial, Agritech or Food and Beverage sectors. Reporting into the Managing Director of Sagentia’s Commercial Division, this is a rare opportunity for someone to apply their deep technical and market knowledge to the development of entirely new service offerings which will delight our clients and really make us strongly differentiate from our competitors.
The role has three parts:
1. Manage and grow our business with a portfolio of Strategic Accounts (60%)
2. Instigate and initiate relationships with new business accounts (20%)
3. Project work – contribute your technical and domain expertise directly to our highest priority projects to ensure we delight our clients and take our relationship with them to the next level (20%)
To be successful in this role you will build upon your product development and program management background to engage, drive and grow client relationships. You will provide input to the division’s strategy and will ultimately be responsible for profitable sales and successful project delivery within nominated accounts and market-focused campaigns. You will have the opportunity to travel overseas to visit and work with our clients; it is expected that you will be travelling 25 – 50% of your time (US and Europe).
• Take responsibility for maintaining and growing the business relationship with selected Strategic Accounts; this will encompass both telephone and field work with routine visits to clients in order to sustain key relationships and to increase customer penetration
• Centre on new business creation activities, introducing the company’s services, presenting portfolio reviews, leveraging existing and new contacts to identify new project opportunities, discussing and responding to new project briefs.
• Listen to the needs of our client and translate these into appropriate programs of work (in consultation with the Commercial division team, skill group managers and consultants). Though not directly involved in all projects, the individual in the role will stay in touch with the consultants running these projects and as and when appropriate participate in key interim and final delivery meetings and post-project reviews.
• Promote services to new business targets in order to win new customer accounts. The role will involve a mix of targeted lead generation and client face-to-face meetings.
• Attend industry/sector meetings and conferences and draw support from the Science Group Marketing team
• Pitch the business and handle RFPs through to proposal stage. Once the business has been won they will then nurture these new accounts, and potentially contribute their technical expertise to the project (see consulting below) to secure and grow future business streams.
• Assist in strengthening our client relationships with strategic and new business accounts.
• The role will have a 20% utilisation target. This will focus on higher-value projects of strategic importance.
Experience & qualifications
• An understanding of Consumer, Industrial or Food and Beverage product development
• Customer-facing experience in either a project management or business development role
• Evidence of success in building a rapport and trust in customers
• Experience of new product introduction
• Experience in a consulting environment
• Technical degree qualifications to Masters/PhD level is strongly preferred but not essential
We are committed to career development and make a focused effort to offer bespoke training and mentoring to allow each individual to thrive within their environment and realise personal potential.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.