Are you an enthusiastic and curious individual who loves solving complex challenges through application of your Product Design and engineering skills? Are you passionate about product development and applying your skills to the design of usable and compelling products across a range of market sectors? Would you relish the opportunity to apply these skills over a 1-year placement?
• A one-year undergraduate placement opportunity in our Mechanical Systems & Design team starting summer 2020
• This is an energetic and widely experienced team delivering product development consultancy services to our clients and would expose you to a multitude of exciting projects in the medical, industrial and consumer sectors
• Be studying towards a degree, Product Design or a product development focused degree such as Mechanical engineering (or similar) and looking for a one-year placement opportunity;
• Have strong GCSE and A levels;
• Have a demonstrable interest and knowledge of product design and creating and developing new products
• Have energy and enthusiasm to work within multidisciplinary teams and multi-tasking across projects.
You might also have (but not essential):
• CAD design experience (preferably with SolidWorks and/or ProE)
• Freehand sketching skills
• Experience with CAD rendering packages such as KeyShot
• Appreciation of usability design and/or human factors engineering
• Supplementary skills ranging from mechatronics and control to model making
• Analytical skills experience, such as exposure to performance predicting tools e.g. FEA, moldflow, COMSOL, MATLAB and MATHCAD
Over the one-year placement, you work on various projects alongside our world class employees and gain an insight into consultancy and the exciting challenges we work on. This is a unique opportunity to interface with clients from start-ups through to global market leaders. You will use a combination of innovation, flexibility and technical excellence to meet and exceed our customers’ often demanding requirements and tight development timescales. You will experience working across the product development lifecycle, from new concept generation and technology validation, through prototyping and full product development, to transfer to manufacture and sustainability.
A Day in the life
At any one time we have dozens of active projects in the medical, industrial and consumer sectors. As a 1-year placement student, you will have the opportunity to employ and improve your product design skills on one or more projects simultaneously across sectors. Projects range in length anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. Typical projects will use multidisciplinary skills requiring team work across electronics design, software design, fundamental science and of course a mechanical and product design team that you will be part of. You will enjoy a variety of tasks such as concept generation and illustration activities, voice of customer (VoC), form studies, CAD design, prototype building, experiment design and product function and reliability testing.
In addition, you will attend internal multidisciplinary progress meetings which will give you exposure to challenges outside of the mechanical and design field. You will also be included in interaction with clients through regular external project update meetings.
You will be based at our Sagentia office, in Harston. You will enjoy a fast-paced environment that solves a variety of challenges from different industries.
You will have bespoke training and mentoring to allow you to thrive within our environment and fully realise your personal potential.
You will be offered a competitive salary and benefits package.