The patient care sector is currently undergoing a dramatic period of change, as providers seek to move from centralised and expensive medical treatments towards approaches focused on improved access, usability and affordability. These changes are driving completely different user requirements and development risks.
Sagentia specialises in assisting companies to identify and qualify disruptive market opportunities across the patient care pathway, and to develop the novel technological concepts that are required to address them. We can also help incorporate new science and technology into existing products in order to consolidate a market leading position.
Our technical skills are augmented by our robust ISO 13485 accredited quality system and our deep knowledge of current clinical practice.
Areas of patient care that we are actively engaged in include advanced wound care management devices, precision drug delivery technologies, energy-based therapies and novel connected health solutions.
With more than 27 years experience of medical devices, Sagentia excels in the delivery of technologically challenging programmes, providing valuable intellectual property, rapid time to market and successful, market-leading products. Combining deep product development skills with leading expertise in human factors and voice of the customer research, we create innovative products for both clinical and home care settings across a range of devices.
Recent examples of project work for clients operating in the patient care sector include:
- The world’s first monitoring system to transmit complex implantable cardiovascular defibrillator (ICD) data between patient and clinician. Sagentia co-developed the transmitter, from initial specification through to transfer to manufacture, providing expertise in the selection of low-cost products, consumer product design and electronics and software development.
- An award-winning breakthrough product that removes excess fluid from the blood of congestive heart failure patients. The unit continuously withdraws blood from the patient, controls fluid filtration rate and returns treated blood back again. Sagentia’s mechanical, electronics and software engineers devised a working prototype within nine months which addressed the need for extensive safety monitoring and fault tolerance.
- Sensohaler is an exciting new technology that monitors key performance characteristics of an inhaler, providing valuable feedback to the user, clinician, doctor or provider, consequently promoting correct use.
- Screening of newborn children for hearing loss is now mandatory in many states in the USA. We worked with SonaMed to develop one of the first, and subsequently the most highly regarded, systems on the market by developing the interface between patient and PC for its Clarity System.
- Photocure develops and sells pharmaceuticals and medical devices based on proprietary photodynamic technology, targeting key dermatology and oncology markets. The company identified the need for a new, large-area photodynamic treatment (PDT) lamp that could be used in combination with its proprietary pharmaceutical, Visonac™, for the treatment of moderate to severe facial acne. They have also produced a breakthrough light activated drug device investigated for treatment of HPV and cervical pre-cancer.